Saturday, July 10, 2021

Handstitch sample Book


This was a lovely relaxing project based on a workshop from Jude Kingshot as part of the TextileArtist.org Stitch Club. She demonstrated a simple technique for making a small fabric book using white organdie as the basis for the pages. This is a stiff open weave fabric that I had never bought and the white simplicity of the finished book was lovely but did not inspire me particularly. 
I looked through my stash and picked out a very strongly coloured large cotton handkerchief- the complete opposite! In order to make it a bit stiffer I sprayed it with laundry starch, which worked very well. (Do protect your iron and ironing board with baking parchment if you do this - it took me a long time to clean up properly after this session! ) 

I cut the hanky in half and ironed a fold down the middle to make 2 pages. My approach to this book was to (a) use my new sari ribbons, which were equally colourful as the hanky,  and (b) to try out some new hand stitches. 


I started on this page first. I loved the partial circle motif embroidered on the ribbon which was crying out to be 'completed'. I fixed the sari scrap down with running stitch first and then filled in the missing part with back stitch. The other stitches I have used on this page are Chain stitch, buttonhole, Tulip stitch, Shisha and Sailors Edging.



Next I chose these sari strips with printed squares and went mad with the diagonals! I used Paris stitch, running stitch, back stitch, Closed Herringbone and Sorbello. The edging is done with Antwerp Edging. 

I can't believe how the tiny sequins on the sari ribbon are attached - they have individual strips of foil wrapped round them and bent over on the back, which must be done manually!


The third page was inspired by the flower like circles on the sari silk. I used pistol stitch, berry stitch, picot stitch an a scroll border.


The final page has Crown stitch, Woven Stars, Japanese Darning and Satin stitch circles. I used Zigzag Stitch for the border.



The cover had to be even more colourful! I chose a selection of shot silk taffeta sari ribbons in various colours and wove them in a rectangle to size. I ran a nearly invisible line of small running stitches around the edge to hold it all in place before adding the more decorative chain stitch border. Finally I finished some more woven crosses in the centre to give it more rigidity and decoration. 

The book is simply assembled using a running stitch in floss down the inside of 1 page and back up the side of the next page. The second set of pages were stitched in the same way and then a final press to finish it off.