Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 6 - Zig-Zag Book and Pumpkins

Bursledon Brickworks Pumpkin
This week started with Halloween crafts. I agreed to carve some pumpkins for the Bursledon Brickworks Museum Open Day (a charity for which I volunteer). Instead of just doing the usual ghoulish face I decided to see if I could do the Museum's logo - here is the result. This photo was kindly taken by Mark J Pearce, the official photographer on the day. Based on this, the management team have asked me to design their Christmas Card this year!
Last weekend I got busy with the sewing machine and made a pouch to hold my laptop cables as my new fancy padded slimline case doesn't have a place for them.
Finally at college last week we made a zig-zag book in which to mount all our line design work. This book was simple to make - take an A1 sheet of card, cut it in half lengthways, join the 2 strips together to make a long strip and fold into a zig-zag.

The City and Guilds syllabus requires us to demonstrate an understanding of the following types of line and present design work illustrating all of them:

  • Fat and thin lines
  • Angular
  • Curvilinear


  • Cross-hatching
  • Overlaid
  • Lines evoking mood in wet and dry media
Thus the task is to present our line design work, together with photos, magazine pictures, pictures by other artists etc in an interesting and creative way.
As we can literally do anything, the challenge is to come up with a meaningful and inspiring format. This is a big task, but one I have thoroughly enjoyed so far.

It is not finished yet but the photos on the right provide a preview - hopefully you can work out which page is which!

Our design work moves onto colour next week - I can't wait!