Sunday, December 27, 2020

Knitwear Bauble

This year my group of stitching friends decided to organise a secret tree decoration swap. We drew names using Drawnames.co.uk, which worked really well, and then had free rein to make whatever we wanted. I had enjoyed exploring using cut up charity shop knitwear in my Tree Bark Abstract so I had the idea of covering an existing tree bauble in knitwear and embellishing it.


First I found a free pattern on the internet for making a fabric sphere at www.annwoodhandmade.com - I was extremely lucky that the small size fitted the existing bauble exactly. I chose the 4 part sphere and cut 2 sections from the jumper ribbing and 2 from the body. 


I oversewed 2 of the panel together from the bottom, stopping 2cms from the top. I then added a third panel in the same way. On the fourth panel I initially stitched only half way up on both seams, put it onto the bauble and then carried up on the remaining seams in tandem. Finally I tidied up the top of the other seams until the bauble was tidily encased in the knitwear jacket.

Then I added the embellishment - a ribbon flower, a lace snowflake and numerous white and silver beads.


Finally I added a sparkly hanging thread!

My friend was really pleased with the bauble - here it is hanging on her tree.