Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Week 33 - Final Exhibition

Last week's blog post showed the work of the students on my course at the exhibition as we were setting it up.
The exhibition all went off really well and seemed well attended when I was on duty to steward, despite the awful weather. I got lots of complements for my 'Pylon Sky' piece particularly.
I finally got a chance to go round the exhibition as a visitor and these are the pieces that especially caught my eye.
Right - a small embroidery from City and Guilds Level 3 Embroidery.
A 3D hand-stitch bowl from City and Guilds Level 3 Embroidery. This was one of 3 bowls for this student's final piece. They were made out of tissue paper and stitched in various ways. It was very beautiful how they caught the light on the windowsill.
Below is my favourite quilt from the City and Guilds Level 3 Patchwork and Quilting room. It is obviously inspired by Southampton Docks and all the shipping containers have a raised ribbed surface.
Below is my favourite piece from the final year degree students on the FdA Stitched Textiles course. It is about being alone in a public space and you can't see too well on the photo but there are dozens of figures stitched into the background.

Below is another final year piece - a cape about the public protests held this year - each side was different but all very well done.

This is another final year piece - very different as it is knitted, which is unusual in a piece of art. To go with this, the student had also created and had printed her own graphic novel, which you can see here.

This was a favourite from the Year 1 & 2 room of the FdA. It depicts a galaxy and is made in 4 layers to build up to a stunning 3D piece.

Finally these 3 pieces were from the Contemporary Textiles Workshop students, who meet regularly to keep challenging themselves on stitched textiles pieces.
So the exhibition is over and the course is over - what will I do next? I will keep on posting about my creations but it might not be so regular, unless I do another course.